Serving stbx who works in another state

I am filing for absolute divorce as a resident of Meck county, NC. My stbx resides in NC and has his mail delivered to his home, but spends most of his time in TN due to his job. He does not have an official residence there as he is staying with family. To properly serve the divorce papers, can I use registered mail to his NC home address or do I need to have him served in person in TN?

You may serve him via certified mail at his NC address, or c/o his employer in TN. So long as he signs for the paperwork service will be proper.