Show Cause for Medical Expenses

As long as the order requires him to pay the unpaid medical expenses then it would be a cut and dried case and your ex can be put in jail if he does not comply with the order.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a motion to show cause for unpaid medical expenses?

My ex owes me about $2500.00 for his portion of medical not covered by insurance. One of my children has significant medical issues and the bills just keep coming and will continue.

An attorney I spoke to wants $1000.00 to file for me and stated the judge would most likely order all or part of my attorney fees from the ex. That is wonderful, but what about the collection of the money part?

Has anyone filed on their own? I really don’t have $1000.00 to spend since my ex is not paying child support as ordered and since all the medical is coming out of my pocket.

Would this be pretty cut and dry - he owes the money and has not paid.