Show Cause Motion


How has he violated it?


The courts have certain requirements and one of them were that neither parent is to have another person of the opposite sex to spend the night (overnight) if not related by blood or marriage. He has a live-in girlfriend. The agreement also states that our son is to have an open line of communication with the other parent and he cannot neither call his father when he is in my care, nor can he call me when he is in his father’s care. His girlfriend has put a block on my number from calling, since I was his last girlfriend before they met and he was still trying to be with me at the same time. Then when my son is over with him, he is not allowed to use the phone to call me. He has not kept him on the days specified in the agreement, but the days are too numerous to pinpoint. Is there any help?


Dear lh61501:

Greetings. The Motion to Show Cause is a “DOM” form and can be found on the Wake County website. We may also have one on our website. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I currently have joint custody of my son with his father. We went to mediation and had a parental agreement formed and signed by the judge. Since then, he has violated it, in more ways than one, and I want to take it back to court. I was told by the mediator that I need to fill out a show cause motion. I have been unsuccessful in finding that form on the internet. Do you have a link to a site that will allow me to download? All I have found are ones for protective orders and juveniles, none that are just a plain show cause motion. Can someone help?