Sleeping in the camper

My husband has been sleeping in our camper in the side yard for weeks. Before that he was on the couch. He comes and goes as he pleases and pretty much ignores me. He has the camper locked and always carries the key so I can’t go in there.He will also come in the house wherever he wants to use bathroom or cook. He says he is moving but he has not left. My question is could I change the locks to our house? And is this abandonment?

You can change the locks whenever there has been a physical separation and at least one of you intended the separation to be permanent. If he has been residing in the camper, then that would count as a physical separation since the two of you have not been sharing the same residence. It would not be considered abandonment.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.