My husband has two children in elementary and middle school. I am actively involved in their lives but their mom does everything in her power to demolish the relationship I am building with them. She does not want me at any of their events and she refuses to allow me to help. For example, my husband works an hour away and he does everything he can to be at every one of their events including all sports practices, games, etc. Sometimes it is impossible and he would love for me to be able to assist on his behalf (such as taking one of them to practice or picking them up from school). She refuses and says I am nothing in their lives and have no rights. She also says that he is nto doing his part and she is a single mom each time he has a conflict – but I am always willing to do his part when he can’t and the kids are very comfortable with me and I take care of them just as much as he does when they are with us.
Is there anything my husband can do?

There is likely nothing your husband can do. Your husband must follow the custody terms that he has with his ex-wife regarding transportation, school events and extracurricular activities. If the custody terms are silent to these issues, then absent some other formal contract, agreement or court order existing, there is nothing legally preventing your husband from allowing you, as the stepparent, to assist him in transportation, attendance at school events and extracurricular activities, etc.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.