Steps for changing lawyers

Hi, I am in the process of changing lawyers since I have gotten very little guidance and advice from my current lawyer since we separated with my husband 10 months ago. I just feel lost and I have to do most research all by myself. As we get ready for the divorce in a couple months, I have lost faith in that firm and not sure if I would be strongly represented.

What would be the best way to change lawyers? Should I contact the lawyer personally and let her know that I would like to cease using their services, or should I wait to meet with my new lawyer in a couple of weeks to discuss how to go about it? Just wanted to make sure I take the right steps.

Thanks!

It would be best to ensure that you have another lawyer retained to represent you before informing your current lawyer that you will no longer need his or her services. Your current lawyer will be able to forward your file to the new lawyer upon your request.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.