Replacing My Attorney

I am not happy with the level of support provided by my attorney. In 10 months very little has been accomplished other than the monthly billing process. Very little contact. My initial retainer, which was required, has run out. I would like to engage a new attorney, but want to understand if I have to do anything other than notify my current attorney in writing? Are there rules or protocol that must be done as well. I was told by another party that I needed to get the approval of family court as well. Located in Charlotte, NC. Thanks.

You are always free to hire a different attorney as you see fit. If you have a litigation case and it is currently in court, the old attorney will have to file a motion to withdraw and the judge will have to allow it but this generally does not create an issue. There is no other protocol that you would have to follow.