Fire your attorney?


If you are dissatisfied with your attorney and your calls are not being returned I certainly think you should consider going elsewhere.
You may ask that your retainer be returned, less the money your attorney has charged for completed work. You will need to request the refund from your attorney.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


My attorney seems to be too busy. I have asked him to do a couple of things, and they haven’t been done, and I was told that my ex’s attorney should do that. My ex’s attorney wasn’t doing it, and that’s why I asked my attorney to do it so it could get done.

I have paid the total required, and I do not think I am getting the service I deserve. Ex: I called three weeks ago, and my call has not been returned. I have called two more times since then, and still no return call.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back so I can retain another attorney who isn’t quite so busy? I realize that I would need to allow a deduction from the money for the service that he did provide.

Thank you for the time you spend answering all of our questions. It is very much appreciated.