Stop Alimony

My ex-spouse has remarried. My court order states that the alimony I pay is to cease upon remarriage or cohabitation. How do I inform the court of her status change?

If the court order states that your alimony obligation ends upon your ex-wife’s remarriage with no other action required, then you do not need to inform the court since your alimony obligation automatically ends.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

How does the court find out? The marriage happened in Georgia or south Carolina.

The court does not need to be notified of any change if the court order states that alimony is to automatically terminate upon remarriage.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

The alimony is deducted from my pay before I receive it. It has not stopped. If its not the court, who do I need to contact?

If your alimony is being garnished from your paycheck then you would need to file a motion to terminate alimony based on your evidence that your spouse has remarried.

Anna Ayscue

Where can I find an example of how this motion should read?

You will need to draft you own motion as we do not have samples of this type of motion. Your motion would need to state the facts. For example: (1) an alimony ordered was entered, (2) you have paid the alimony on time each time it was due so that no arrears have accrued, and (3) your ex-wife has remarried and the date that she re-married (it would help if you were able to obtain a copy of her marriage license or some other proof that you have that she is remarried and attach it to your motion as an exhibit).

Be sure to conclude your motion with a statement about what you are asking the court to do, i.e. to terminate your alimony obligation effective as of your ex-wife’s remarriage date.

Anna Ayscue