Subpoena tax records

If my ex received severance pay in 2009, could I just subpoena tax records to show proof rather than filing motion to compel discovery?

The IRS is limited in what it can disclose and will likely not submit information requested by subpoena. A better course of action is to subpoena the pay records from the employer who paid the severance.