Sue boyfriend

I am separated with my wife and I am suing her to stop homeschooling our children and to get a 50% custody agreement. She has signed a consent form on school and we have a draft respectively. Making progress.

This has, and will continue to be, very expensive. We are self employed and she owns 50% of our business. There are 6 children involved and understandably a very difficult process.

I mention this as background b/c the damage done by - what I suspect to be her boyfriend - is extensive.

She has been served an extensive discovery request and I think I should proceed with requiring her to submit this. The phone records could be the first real evidence of this relationship. My lawyer has temporarily suspended this b/c she is cooperating.

My question, what evidence is required to sue him? Avoiding alimony requires evidence of intercourse I understand. Do the same qualifications apply here?

  • Loss if business
  • Emotional trauma
  • Expense in separating
  • (what others would you list as damages)

Please let me know what evidence would build a strong enough case to proceed (e.g. calls, texts, etc enough.). Obviously I will ask my attorney, but I value Rosen council.

As always, thank you!

For an alienation of affection and/or criminal conversation lawsuit and or proving illicit sexual behavior to avoid alimony, you will need evidence such as phone call and text records, text messages, Facebook messages, emails, hotel receipts, and private investigator notes/footage, etc.

To prove illicit sexual behavior you must show that your wife had the inclination to commit an act of illicit sexual behavior during the marriage and that she had to opportunity to do so. Our article What is Illicit Sexual Behavior contains more detailed information.

Also, check out our detailed article on both alienation of affection and criminal conversation: Infidelity and Alienation of Affection.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.