Sue husband monetary damages for emotional abuse

Having a non-violent malignant, covert narcissist, wealthy husband of 10yrs…he has prospered these years, while I was kept poor, my life in shambles. As it sits, by design everything of his is his separate property. I go to divorce and I’m SOL. Alimony would not sustain me.
As a layman, I’ve dug in and found it is possible to sue a husband monetarily for emotional abuse damages. (not in a divorce lawsuit).
Do you know the specific marital laws? I found place where it mentions each should take care of each other and to prosper, in so many words to the effect, but can’t find anything expounding on it to more define prosper, etc. I think there are tort law that might be relevant.
If so, would it be a personal injury attny who would be the type of attorney?
This is SO important to me.

You would need to see a personal injury attorney or general litigation attorney to see about suing for the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

You should also pursue claims for postseparation support and alimony if you are the dependent spouse and he is the supporting spouse.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.