Support and Custody!

Yes, usually the parent who has been taking care of the child for that period of time will obtain custody. Back support is also owed.

Some folks consider terminating the parental rights of a parent who has been so uninvolved but that would mean that you would no longer be able to seek child support.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello…I posted before, however, I did not get any response. My question was: In North Carolina how does the courts look at a parent who has not supported or seen their child in over a year? Does this usually mean the other parent with the child gets sole-custody? Can reduction of rights take place? If this happens, does the parent who gave no support, have to pay child-support? Thanks for any help.