Support Collectors

Military divorces are a pain but when one is done in NC it is even more confusing. Many times even though they can pay the missed payments they won’t for spousal mainentance. DFAS wants judge signed orders etc… So support collectors are helpful. In part they take a finders fee. If something haves to be done they hire an atty. say they owe you for 6 months of missed payments and there was even a small claims on this so if was awarded how would the interest calculate on say $5000. He is willfully not wanting to pay. There is still property with her name on it because he did do the debts and obligations the order stated to turn it over to him so would a judge force the sale of the property and give her proceeds? This is on an ED Order of 2012

If a court order is not being followed, you would need to file a contempt motion (called a motion for an order to appear and show cause).

Unless the agreement or order states specifically, there is no interest on missed or late support payments.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.