Support of Consent Orders

My ex and I have a consent order that outlines child support for our minor son until age 18. Our son is now 12. We did the agreement between us when my son was six but agreed it was better to have support outlined in the agreement until the age of 18. We calculated by the guidelines and nowhere in the agreement does it state that the agreement is modifiable. A judge signed off on the agreement.

Now my ex wants to break our agreement and says that I need to give her double the amount of child support I’m paying her or she is going to take me to court. Won’t the court make her abide by the agreement we have in place.

Court orders for child support are modifiable whether or not it specifically states so in the order. They are modifiable when there has been a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child. It is presumed to have been a substantial change in circumstances when at least 3 years have passed since the entry of the order and there is at least a 15% difference in the amount of child support in the current order and the amount of child support using the parent’s current incomes and circumstances.

Your ex could file a motion to modify the child support order and the court could then determine a new child support amount after determining there has been a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.