Suspect spouse may be alcoholic

If I suspect my husband is an alcoholic and this may affect custody and his ability to parent our children, what can I do? He denies he has a drinking problem and gets mad if the children tell him not to drink (at dinner) and drive afterwards. Is there any way to find out if his drinking is out of hand? Some type of assessment or counseling?

You can file for emergency custody if you believe his drinking is putting the children in a dangerous situation. Temporary emergency custody orders may be entered in order to provide continuing stability in a deteriorating situation, to preserve the status quo, to prevent a child’s removal from the jurisdiction, to return the child to an appropriate custodian, and/or to protect the child from harm, neglect or abuse. Emergency temporary orders may be entered ex parte upon a verified pleading or affidavit. “Ex parte” means that only one side tells the court its version of events. The court must review a temporary emergency custody order within ten days, at which time the other side has the opportunity to present his or her own evidence. After the court has heard the evidence from each side, the order will be continued (kept in force), modified, or terminated (dissolved).

The court can order him to get an assessment, treatment, and can include alcohol restrictions in a custody order.