The newspaper


Dear baltoravens98:

Greetings. When someone cannot locate their spouse, and they have tried through certified mail and Sheriff to serve the spouse, then they can try to serve them by publication. It is usually much more costly than a simple absolute divorce, because you must pay for service by mail, Sheriff, and then posting in the newspaper for a set amount of time. Serving a divorce by publication is the method of last resort. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I see people advertise their divorce in the newspaper and if the spouse doesn’t reply within a certain amount of time the marriage is null and void.What I was wondering is what kind of divorce is that and how do you go about filing that way? Also what is the cost of one of those divorces? Thank you your help is greatly appreciated.