Third Party Custody- Motion to Modify

My mother has had custody of my oldest daughter for three years. Now that my situation has changed, I’m ready to modify the consent order. I have already started the process. My daughter’s father, who also signed the agreement, has not shown up for the orientation. He has already been scheduled twice. I have a hearing coming up. I was wondering if my case will be delayed because of this. I’ve already had my case continued once

Your court date will likely not be continued/delayed because the father has not shown up for the custody mediation orientation session or the custody mediation session. Typically after two no shows the court will issue an order to appear and show cause against the father requiring him to come to court and show good cause why he should not be held in contempt of court for not attending the custody mediation requirement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.