Third-party lawsuit

thanks very much again and …

Assuming your wife lives in NC, then she can still sue your alleged paramour for alienation of affection even if this person lives out of state. If you wife lives in VA, then she can sue your alleged paramour in NC if the alleged paramour lives in NC.

The alleged paramour can defend a NC alienation of affection claim by proving there was no love and affection between you and your wife or that this person was not aware you were married.

Check out our Infidelity and Alienation of Affection article for detailed information.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.