Trying to force me out

Dear Taylor;

Yes, you do have a right to stop this behavior. A court would probably agree that your husband is subjecting you to indignities and perhaps even constructive abandonment. On these grounds, you can file a lawsuit against your husband for Divorce from Bed and Board and ask the court to grant you exclusive use of the marital residence.

It sounds to me as if your husband intends to pursue a separation and/or divorce. You should seek legal counsel immediately to come up with a plan to best protect your rights and your share of marital assets. Take care.

Robin F. Verhoeven
Attorney at Law
Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband is trying his best to get me to leave. (I’m pretty sure he is having an affair). He is doing really mean things to try to get me to throw up my hands and leave. He cuts the hot water heater off so I can’t shower before I leave in the mornings for work. He canceled my car from the insurance policy. He cut the home phone line off. Sentimental pictures and videos are disappearing from the house. He calls me VERY hurtful names.

Do I have any rights to stop this behaviour?