Voluntary termination of rights?

Can a parent voluntarily terminate their parental rights? If so, what are the reasons to do it, and how can it be done. Child support is still being paid, but for past 6 months parent has chosen, of their own accord, to not take any visitation nor have any contact with the child. Could that be considered abandonment? What can be done?

A party cannot voluntary terminate his or her parental rights. If that were the case, we would have a lot of parents trying to use termination as a means to avoid their child support obligations.

The termination of parental rights (TPR) statute has two parts. First, there must be grounds for termination. Some examples include abuse/neglect, failure to provide child support, and leaving the child in foster care. After the court finds grounds, it has to ask if terminating a parent’s parental rights is in the best interests of the child. NCGS 7B-1100s cover termination of parental rights.