Who owns an E-mail account

My ex-husband and I separated three years ago and completed the absolute divorce two years ago. I have an e-mail account that I have paid for for 16 years which has four e-mail accounts attached to it. The three sub accounts appear under my main account, and can not be deleted or separated, as I have tried. I pay with my credit card every month and the name and address on the account are my name and home address. My ex-husband apparently knows some recovery questions and keeps putting my sub account into his name. I call the e-mail provider regularly and give them my name and identify myself. Then, they update my password and put the account back in my control. My ex knows some personal info and changes it back to his preferred password and uses it. The e-mail provider says I can delete the account if it is in delete status for 30 days, but he always reactivates it before the deletion can complete. Who is the owner of the account? I pay for it every month with my credit card.

It sounds like the account is yours since it is in your name and with your address, and it sounds like these accounts have always been yours. If your separation agreement or equitable distribution court order does not address the owner of these accounts, then it appears they should be yours. Try changing the answers to the security questions.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.