Who pays travel when parent moves?


Dear md2ada:

Greetings. Is he moving for his job - why is he moving? Usually the expense will be bore by both parties by including the expense as an extraordinary expense on the child support worksheet. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have primary custody & ex-husband gets every other weekend & Wed night for dinner.
He is moving 4 hrs away. Obviously Wed dinners are out & we may have to agree to modify otherwise as well. But who is required to do the driving and who is expected to bear the expense of travel? I may want to move in the future so I don’t want to be unreasonable now in case I want him to be reasonable later.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide - even if it isn’t a carved in stone thing, knowing standard custom & practice in this kind of situation would even help.