Wife and her mother emptied my bank account, stole car



Yesterday, my wife and her mother emptied our joint bank account with a cashier’s check. She took our cash savings from the safe, stole a car that was registered in my name, and took the rest of her possessions and left. Can I file a felony, civil lawsuit against her or her mother to retrieve the stolen property?

Thanks so much for any response to this issue.


You can report that your wife took the car that was titled in your name to the authorities. They will likely tell you that it is a domestic matter.

The civil lawsuit you would file is for Equitable Distribution, and you should immediately file a Temporary Restraining Order and Motion for Interim Distribution to be scheduled for hearing in front of a judge to insure your marital property is not sold and dissipated before you can get it back.