Wife refuses to help with bill or maintain home

What can you do if your wife refuses to help pay the bills in the house but she’s constantly running the electric and utilities up I have asked her on several occasions to help with the bills but she refuses I’m a disabled veteran and this is starting to affect my health she also refuses to maintain the home inside cleaning she works for the USPS making from 1000 to 1800 every two weeks while she is at work I watch our 4 year old and take our 2 other kids to school and pick them up and care for them until she gets home she refuses to help me with paying bills and maintaining our home she is on the deed the mortage is in my name what can I do

If you’re married and living together, there isn’t anything you can do because under the law, a marriage is considered an economic partnership and it doesn’t matter who pays what when it’s a marital expense.

If you’re separated and you’ve moved out of the marital residence, she remains in the residence, the utilities are in your name, you are not the supporting spouse, and she is not the dependent spouse, then you can have the utilities stop services at a certain date. You need to notify her of the date in which she will need to put the utilities in her name so she has the opportunity to avoid a lapse in service, especially if minor children are in her care. Doing this could have child support implications and may not be advisable in all circumstances depending on your exact child support situation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.