Wording of Motion to Modify Custody

I am working on a Motion to Modify my custody agreement and really need help with how to word the change of circumstances. There have been many significant changes in the last year including my ex being in contempt for most of the year. I guess my question is, how formal do I need to be? How much detail is too much detail? I will be supplying copies of text messages and things of that nature but will that be enough?

You don’t have to be as detailed in your written motion, but you should give enough information to support a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor children. You can include copies of text messages as exhibits in your motion.

When your motion is heard on the court date, you will then want to make sure you have all of your detailed information, exhibits, testimony, etc. to fully prove the substantial change in circumstances.

If the other parent has willfully violated the court order, you may also want to file a contempt motion (or motion for order to appear and show cause) along with your motion to modify.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.