30 day Extension

How do I ask for a 30 day extension on a divorce from bed & board claim? Can I do this myself if I do not have a lawyer on retainer yet? I’ve talked to two lawyers and will be interviewing another one soon. I just haven’t gotten the funds ready to hire one to speak in my behalf on the claim and in negotiations for separation.

You may get an extension without a lawyer. You must file a Motion to Extend time to Answer and prepare an Order to Extend, for the clerk to sign. Take the motion to the clerk for filing, and he or she will sign the Order to Extend if your motion is filed before the time to answer has expired.

At my visit with another lawyer yesterday I just had them file the motion to extend time for me. It cost me a little, but worth the piece of mind that it will be done correctly.