Absolute divorce


Yes, you are doing it perfectly.


You have the right format for continuing your filing. Once you get the complaint notarized, make 2/3 copies of each form and bring them with you to the courthouse. When filing the original the clerk will assign you a case number and file(date) your copies. She will also sign and date your summons, giving you back the original to finish completing once your service is successfully processed.You will also have to pay a filing fee (cash or money order). You then mail a copy of the complaint and summons to your husband return receipt requested. Once you get the green card back w/ his signature of service, you file that along with and Affidavit of process of service and the completed Summons to the Clerk.


Sounds like you are on track. Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been separated a little over two years now and really need to proceed with the divorce. Luckily my husband and I had no children, separated peacefully so there are no “lingering” legal issues…just the divorce. I read the “do-it-yourself” divorce info, however am needing a little more. I have already filled out the complaint, verfication and civil summons. This may be a stupid question, but is it now that I go ahead and file these documents at the courthouse?? Then once I file these, a copy will need to be served?? Does the original stay with the clerk? I am serving my ex via mail and just want to make sure that I only need to send a copy to him. Thanks