Have answer for first question since she now lives full time in the house. I should have clarified, she only put her name on the lease,daughter’s boyfriend paid for deposit and first month rent. I paid the deposit for the lights to be turned on, gave them furniture, sheets, towels,dishes, pots, pans, basicly everything they needed to start living there with the understanding that the house was for daughter, boyfriend and 6 month old baby. Less than a week later, the ex with her two sons (age 21 & 19 all unemployed)moved into the house leaving daughter’s boyfriend working 2 jobs trying to make ends meet. With her name on the lease, daughter’s boyfriend can not do anything about it. At least if he has to move, he will have lights because I put them in his name, much to the dismay of everyone else.

I still need help with the second question please.


If alimony is by agreement, then the alimony will terminate whenever the agreement states. If the alimony is by court order, then either party may ask the court to extend or modify the alimony.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have two questions.

  1. Boyfriend had a lawyer 8 years ago that really did a bad job and was eventually disbarred. The kids are all over 18 now, have property settlement and Divorce from Bed and Board (found out too late that the lawyer marked wrong box, should have been Absolute Divorce but we didn’t know the difference at the time and lawyer wanted more money to refile). Boyfriend wants to file for Absolute Divorce but we do not have an address for her. She moves from family member to family member. She did recently lease a house in her name for her kids to live in, that she stays at sometimes. Can we send the certified mail to this address?

  2. Alimony stopped in August when the child support stopped. Can she asked for alimony to be reinstated?