Separation for a month

Dear Susieq:

Greetings. First, if there is nothing in your separation agreement stating tht you cannot have an overnight guest, and this gentleman is just a roommate I see no problem. If you are being paid alimony, you may want to check your separation agreement again to be sure. The problem will come when your 6 year old daughter goes to visit Daddy and says that your roommate sleeps in Mommy’s room.

The roommate situation can be used in a custody proceeding, but make sure that your roommate is an upstanding character, with no criminal record. Also you will want to be open and honest with your ex about the living arrangements and anything else to deal with the roommate. Finally, having a financial reason for needing the roommate may be critical. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

well, i feel that he has already been feeling my daughter out for info. i have already told him that this person is staying with me since he not only just moved here. It isnt that i cant afford to live alone, it just makes it easier. My ex’s job is not one that he would ever be awarded custody but i am just fearful that i may not be doing the right thing. I just want to make sure that I am ok with what i am doing. My ex does not pay alimony as i didnt want it.

Dear Susieq:

It seems to me that you are really worried about what your ex can do. The issue is how your new roommate affects your child. Is the roommate a hinderance to your relationship with your child. Is he unsafe? Are you using him as a babysitter.

If in fact the roommate is a boyfriend, then you husband may have some morality issues concerning your child living there while you have live in boyfriend. Odds are that he will take no action, but will raise a big “stink” about it. My advice is just to tell him the truth about the situation and go forward with your life and your daughters life. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My daughter is just in love with this friend of mine. he and i are that in deed, just friends. if it were to develop it wouldnt be until i was divocred anyway. I am just worried about the ex and what he could possibly do legally. I am getting the impression that there isnt much that he could do legally. I dont think there is any amo here. i think i am worrying to just worry. this will be the longest year of my life!

Good Luck with this trying situation!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

My question is that my husband of 10 years and I recently separated. We have signed legal separation pepers and did not chose to include the statement of no opposite sex persons spending the night. we do have a 6 yr old daughter. most recently a very good male friend of mine has moved in with me to help with bills. he is staying the guest room, so basically he is a roommate. Can this be misconstrude? and if so, can i be charged with anything? I am worried that this may be used against me if my ex were to pursue it for custody or just basically anything.