Adultry and cohabitation

Ms. Billing,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes, it sounds like he has committed adultery, and is now cohabitating with an unrelated female. However, that is only relevent if you are seeking alimony from your husband. Whether or not you would receive alimony from a court depends on whether or not you are a dependent spouse (you make less money than your husband.) Then, the information you have given can be used to prove that he committed adultery during the marriage and should be entitled to alimony for a period and in an amount to be determined by the court.

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Prior to my separtion, my husband came home and informed me he didn’t love me anymore and was seeing someone else. He then proceeded on forcing me ou of our residence, by shutting off the water and threatening to turn off the power. A few days after I moved out, he moved in his new girlfriend, is this considered adulty and co-habitation and what legal rights do I have?

J.M. Billing