Alienation of Affection Lawsuit

Dear deroche:

Greetings. It could take one week or up to the time of trial to settle outside of court. Money in these situations are based on a number of factors, but the largest part of the award is usually “punitive” or an award to punish the person. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am considering suing the lady that had an affair with my husband. I do have all the proof from a detective, phone records, converstion etc. We were friends and our families traveled together for basketball. Her husband had an affair, and she went after my husband to get her husband back. This went on for a long time before I found out, and the whole time she was sucking up to my daughter and acting like my friend. She has no remorse at all and doesn’t even care how my children and I have suffered.

How long does it take approx to settle out of court? If any money is awarded, what is it based on?