Alienation of Affection post separation

If you were also unfaithful why would you want to make a case against the person that he is seeing? What, you think you made a mistake now that he is with someone else? Would you want him to do that to someone you decided to have a relationship with?
I don’t think you would be able to stop the other woman from being around daughter unless you can prove she is a danger to her.

It takes 2 folks to reconcile. It doesn’t matter if YOU are trying your best if HE isn’t willing to reconcile. If you try to go after the girlfriend, do you think that will help in the reconciliation…especially since you’re guilty of the same thing? If you both have separated several times in the past, it looks like a cycle.

I would give your husband a choice. Either he tries to make things work with you, or you let him go. Going after the girlfriend won’t help your case with your husband. If anything, it will make it worse.

Generally, to maintain a lawsuit for alienation of affection the conduct must occur before the date of separation. If the two of you have already separated you would not be able to prove that you had an otherwise happy marriage.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband and I have been separated about 2 months, but nothing has been signed. About a month after we separated, he began seeing a girl from his work. He has spent several nights with her. There were problems during the marriage. We had separated several times before and I was unfaithful, but we had always managed to try and work things out. To my knowledge, she has been told we are separated. I don’t know if she is aware that I have been trying very hard to reconcile and have told him that I want to work things out. I feel that if she weren’t in the picture, that we might have a chance of working things out. Would I have a case against her? Also, we have a daughter and could I stop him from bringing this woman around my daughter?