Attorney Advise?

Dear sam38:

Greetings. All I can say is that our firm is experienced in divorce related issues. The advice given to your friend is not the same advice that I would give. Since I don’t know the whole story and I have not talked directly to your friend, I can only assume that the advice given has a legal basis to it. When in doubt, find someone specialized in family law! Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Is a bankruptcy attorney experienced with family law? Should they be telling a client (that they did a bankruptcy for) about what they should expect when they go to court on child custody and child support?

This attorney advised my friend that he WOULD receive sole custody of his child ,that he has not seen in 20 months. The child has been with the mother, and is only 23 months old. She also told him, that any judge would give him overnight visitions. He has been served with child support papers, that include 20 months of back time. The attorney told him to RUN to the child support agency in his county and get child support started. Can he do this, after he has been served? The attorney told him that he would NOT have to pay this back time.

Do you feel he is getting good advise?

Thank you!