Can i do this

No, it is not going to be enough.

Yes, you can represent yourself.

You start by learning all you can about the law (i.e. statutes and case law) that pertains to your case. This includes rules of civil procedure and rules of evidence. You then try to learn something about the judge who will be hearing your case. Then comes the mechanical part of filing this document or that document in accordance with applicable deadlines. While you are doing this, you must devise a trial strategy. You devise a plan such that your limited resources and court time are used in a manner reasonably calculated to get you what you want. You need to come to court fully prepared. It’s better to have too much “stuff” than too little. Have questions for your witnesses and the other side’s witnesses prepared ahead of time. Make sure all the exhibits you plan to introduce as evidence are easily apprehensible (to the extent possible) and relevant. Don’t wait until the last minute to get these documents together. When in court, be prepared for the unexpected. You need to be “quick on your feet” and know when to object and/or take exception to some event that doesn’t seem quite right. You also need to pay close attention to everything that transpires and not implicitly waive any rights you may have, unless you knowingly want to waive that right. When the written ruling is finally issued, be prepared for it to contain anything.

You ask if truth is enough to win your case. Unfortunately, the answer is no, it’s not. Our justice system is only an approximation of “pure” justice. Domestic cases are decided almost entirely by judges, who, as human beings, have their own foibles, biases, and prejudices. Truth - or your version of it - is always a good asset to have in your corner, though. All you can do is try to make the court see things your way.

Have you tried to contact legal aide??? If you do not qualify for them to help have you tried contact your states bar association to see if you could get a pro bono or reduced fee attorney???

You can also get help through Guardian Ad Litem :

nccourts.org/Citizens/GAL/Default.asp

I know of people who have used them and they help a lot in
getting your side of the story heard.

Phil

Dear Justme44:

Greetings. In what capacity are you representing yourself? Non-litigation negotiations or litigation?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

i contacted legal aid when i was first separated and was told that unless there is domestic abuse involved they won’t help.

as for the guardian ad litem program that is not for divorce or separation. that is for children and is assigned when social services is involved with abuse, neglect, etc. i am a gal and our “job” is to do what’s best for the child and the child only.

Since GAL does not represent children of divorces, is there any other agency or program available to them?

It would only seem fair that the childrens voices be heard in a divorce since they are usually the ones most affected.

Phil

Dear Justme44:

Greetings. Let’s be clear - you need to hire another attorney, maybe a less costly one. This forum is not to help people represent themselves and to give legal advice, but to answer questions of a legal nature. I cannot tell you how to proceed in representing yourself. Good luck and thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have almost ran out of money. I have a very contested Seperation. I am going to have to represent myself. How do I start? All I have on my side is the truth. Is it enough?