Can therapists only talk to one parents about othe

Have you asked them if they have issues with you and the new relationship?
My husband told his children that if they had issues with he and I dating they needed to talk to us. That did not mean that they had a say in who he dated but if things are not discussed then resentment starts to build and it can make everyone’s life miserable.

Could it be possible that the ex is telling you this in an attempt to alienate you from either the children or the new relationship?
We went through this same thing also. The boys mother was telling them all sorts of things about me that were not true so that they would not want to be around me. The thing about this that she didn’t realize is that they eventually noticed that most of it wasn’t true. She even went as far as talking to my ex and telling her STBX (my husband now) things that she heard about me.

There should be no reason that the psychologist can not inform you of the same things he is telling your ex. Maybe she has asked them not to share information with you as a way of “keeping control” but you are entitled to any information about your children that your ex is, especially when it comes to their well-being and care.

I would advise you to continue to try and contact the therapist and set up a meeting. If your kids are having issues you should know about it and the therapist should talk to you about these issues. Keep in mind that your ex may not be relaying the conversations to you accurately.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


Me and my Wife are involved in trying to work out a separation agreement. We have been separate for years and are both involved in new relationships.
Two of my children see psychologists, and according to my wife the kids have lots of issues concerning me and my new partner.
HOwever, when I talk to the kids on the phone or they spend time with me and my girlfriend, nothing in their behavior corroborates the horrible things my wife says their psychologist have told her has come up during the session.
Often the psychologist have given her advises, but even thought I called psycholgist and left a message asking them to contact me they never did.

Is this correct behavior?
Should I presume that my wife is shaping things or is it the psychologists that are acting out of order or what?

It is horrible for me to be told about feelings and actions and words never expressed to me by my children.

I am desperate and terribly upset by this…

Thanks in advance for any support