When parents can’t agree on how to manage custody of the children they need to try negotiating about a new method of dealing with these issues. If they are unable to negotiate then the courts are prepared to resolve the custodial arrangement and give one parent the authority to make these decisions. Also, medical records are available to each parent so that they can find out what is happening when a child undergoes treatment.

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If a child is seeing a psychologist for anxiety, and the psychologist tells the Mom not to have movies in her home like Freddy Kruger or scary bloody movies and tells her not to let her stepson andstepfather wear a scary mast while chasing her 6 year old son around the house. The child told the psychologist this causes him nightmares. The psychologist never communicate this information to the 6 year old boy’s Dad, who has joint custody. The child told the psychologist that he doesn’t have nightmares at his Dad’s house. Each parent has equal custody and the child’s father signed for this medical help. Was this psychologist wrong not to give this information to the Father? Dad and Mom take turns taking the child to see this psychologist. The stepson is 16 and the stepfather is 39, old enough to know better. The Dad has complained to the Mother about this happining at her house and she tells him there is nothing he can do about this.

Need help please

Susan V. Parsons