Change is residence


I am filing an absolute divorce complaint. However, I moved in September to Wake County from Pitt county. This means that I have not lived in either county for the past 6 months. What county do I put as my residence and does it matter what county I file in??


Curious in NC


You may file in Wake County. The requirement is that you live in the State of North Carolina for six months. Your ex may try to change venue to Pitt County if he or she still residing there, and the change would be granted as venue is proper in the Defendant’s county; however this change will only take place if he or she requests the change.
Since no live hearing for a divorce is necessary I doubt your ex will contest venue. You may proceed in Wake County.