Child support after 19


My son just turned 19, I have been lied to about him being in highschool. He dropped out last September. There is no court ordered child support, I have just been giving his mother money every month for years. I want to stop paying her so I can use the money to get him in a GED program. If she gets him enrolled back in highschool, can she sue me for support?


A parent only has a claim for child support while the child is enrolled in school, but not past the age of 20. She could sue for child support if the child is enrolled in a full time GED program, although you could present evidence of overpayment for months he was not in school as part of your reasoning for asking the court to deviate from the guidelines in your case.