Child support

Dear Lynette Parker:

Greetings. Yes, you can file in your home state for child support. If your state has a child support enforcement agency, I would use them. If you file for child support, your first husband may try to see the children. You will then have to file a custody action to keep him away. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My first husband has been in prison for aggravated sexual assualt of a minor (his daughter) since 1992. He is due to release in September. We have a 16 year old son. Of course we want no contact with him. However, my divorce papers state that upon release he is to contact the court to make child support arrangements. He is going back to the state where we got our divource. I now live out of that state. Do I have any legal recourse to obatin support? If so, can I try to get them to prevent him from seeing our son? Our son wants nothing to do with him and also wants to change his name. Thank you.