Child's education


Dear mathkittycat:

Greetings. Some of this information he can get by going to the school or calling the school. I am sure that the administration and teachers do not have time to mail letters back and forth to him.

Now, his rights depend on what the parties’ agreement or court order says. What type of custody does he have and what does his agreement or court order say? Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


What rights do Non-custodial parents have regarding being informed about their children’s education? My fiance’s ex won’t let him know when there are conferences (that he would like to attend), what they get on their report cards, when there are field trips that he needs to give the kids money for, programs, or anything. He wrote a letter to the teachers asking to be kept informed, but received no response. If he is entitled to be kept informed about the children’s progress in school, how does he go about informing the proper people. The people at the school said he has no rights as NCP, but the people at the school where I teach say legally the NCP must be kept informed if they request it.