Civil lawsuit and Custody lawsuit

My ex is constantly harassing me, my family and my friends and since they have no justifiable reason to change the custody agreement and don’t want to make drive to do a modification of custody they have now decided to file a lawsuit against me for something ridiculous. Will I have to get a lawyer in that county or can I use my current lawyer? Would a lawyer even drive 7 hours to the another county? With now having to pay for a lawyer do deal with this mess can I ask the judge in my county to have my ex pay for my lawyer regarding my custody and child support case since now I have to use the money dealing with the harassment and custody mess they are causing on this?

Your current lawyer may be able to help you with the new lawsuit, but most lawyers do not travel that much of a distance. It is possible your current lawyer will have a referral in the county of the new lawsuit.

As long as you have stated in your complaint, answer, counterclaim or motion to have the other party be responsible for your attorney’s fees, then you can ask the judge for reimbursement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.