Do I need an attorney?

Have you tried talking to your ex about this? Can you work out some sort of alternate visitation? It sounds as though one of the main issues here is that you would like to get support. You can get support without going to a lawyer if the two of you are able to agree on an amount and sign a consent order in the presence of a child support officer.

No, you do not have to have an attorney to change the custody situation. You can work it out yourselves or you can represent yourself in court.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have one child with my ex-husband. For nearly 3 years we have been able to work things out on our own as far a visitation with our child. We never had a court ordered agreement and I do not recieve child support. My ex is now remarried and both he and his wife work varying shifts and are very rarely able to take care of my son all of the 2 1/2 days a week that they have him…they usually end of dumping him off at a babysitter. Due to this situation, and the fact that my son starts kindergarten next year, I want primary custody and child support and my ex husband can have him every other weekend. Do I have to have an attorney to do this?