Contesting an attorney's fees -- part 2

I posted earlier asking what to do about the possibility of contesting the fees of a divorce attorney who, in my opinion, failed to prepare and failed to perform competently. You advised talking to her. I told her assistant that I would like to talk with the attorney about her fees. Instead of the attorney getting back to me, she sent an email asking for her fee (~6K) by the end of the month or she would go to court. You also suggested contacting the NC State Bar.

What kind of court would my attorney go to and what does that entail? What does filing a complaint with the grievance committe of the NC State bar entail? In short, do I have any legal recourse that will not cost me more than my attorney’s fees?

Thank you.

Contact the state bar fee dispute resolution committee.