Custody and visitation

Dear Allison:

Is your other son your husband’s biological or adopted child? If not, then no rights.

Now, as for visitation, I think that you should allow him visitation in your home as often as possible, working up to alternating weekends. Talk to him about phasing in the visitation so that you can become comfortable with the same. If that does not work, you may want to file for child support and child custody, asking the judge to step in. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My situation-
I married almost 6 years ago- this past August(03) husband walked out on me when I was 30 weeks pregnant. We were living in CA and after the baby was born I moved to NC (to be near family- husband consented to the move). I have been the only caretaker for my 8 month son. Husband is moving to NC and will be here in a few weeks. We have nothing in writing as of yet. He wants to keep the baby every weekend once he is here to make up for lost time- I do not agree that it is in the baby’s best interest (I am nursing also). What do I need to do to protect the best interest of the baby? What are my options? Also, I have another son prior to my marriage- does my husband have any claim on that child??
Thank you.