Dear shie:

Greetings. First, legal separation is the date that you and your spouse stop living together and either of you intend the separation to be permanent.

Yes, you may want to have a DNA test performed, and you will want to retain an attorney to deal with the complicated custody situation you have. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

oklook i was separated from my husband since feb 28 2003 ok but not legally he brought me osme divorce papers but he never turned them into his attorney i left i became pregnant on feb 17 and went 2 live with another man well i gave birth to a son nov 20 2003 but i havent gotten a divorcefinalized so in the hospital my boyfriend sighned the birth certificate but ive found out hes not the father n he wants to take sole possecion of a child thats not his to hurt me can a dna test prove hes not the dad? will i be able to have custody of my son im being firced 2 live with him because