Determining Alimony and Child Support on our own

My wife and I are actually looking at restructuring a previously created Post Nup and a part of that is going to be Alimony and Child Support. She wants 60% of my Gross pay to cover both which I think is way too high mainly because I will still be paying for my child’s insurance and I make more or less Net depending on the split between Alimony and Child Support.

My wife earns little to no income based off of odd jobs and stuff she does in the neighborhood (maybe $1500 per year) and I make about 70k before bonuses or commissions. I have used the calculators and the numbers are much lower than her “expectations” but this is also becoming an issue that I don’t see being resolved or coming to a good ending.

Should we look into a mediator? We don’t want to get separate attorneys simply because of cost but I also don’t want this to be another point of contention. My question is mediator, do it ourselves and “negotiate” or should I just cave?

To determine the amount of child support due under NC guidelines you may use the calculator found on our website here:

Child support is always modifiable by the court, and if the pos-nuptial waived alimony for her then it is not in your best interest to revisit it.

[quote=“Ryan Short”]To determine the amount of child support due under NC guidelines you may use the calculator found on our website here:

Child support is always modifiable by the court, and if the pos-nuptial waived alimony for her then it is not in your best interest to revisit it.[/quote]

Should I add in the cost of daycare (2 times per week max) or is that a part of the final calculation anyways?

Yes, you put work related child care in the appropriate box.

seriously, don’t be Mr. Nice Guy. You won’t win your wife back and you will be resentful.

Why are you paying daycare if she only earns $1500 per year. Her getting a job is speculative. Agree to pay 50% of daycare if and when she shows a paystub.

Also, you may find the resources available at Rosen Online helpful. Please see more information here: