Disabled and displaced


I recently separated from my husband in September and left our rental home. My daughter and I got an apartment together as I am in a fixed income and can’t afford my own place. She just got engaged and is pregnant and will be moving out soon. My husband and i have been together since 2003 and were married in 2009. Am I entitled to alimony? I haven’t given him my address, which he has requested by email, to supposedly send me separation papers, as I don’t want him to know where I am. I left because I didn’t feel safe and he was verbally abusive. I just don’t know what to do and don’t have the money for an attorney.


You will be entitled to alimony if you are the dependent spouse and your husband is the supporting spouse, and as long as you have not committed an act of illicit sexual behavior during the marriage.

Check out our detailed Alimony article for more information.

If you go to court, you will eventually have to give your address unless you hire a lawyer. Perhaps you could use a P.O. Box instead.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.