Does being awarded sole legal custody entitle me to SS cards and birth certificates?

I was awarded sole legal custody of 3 children and my ex-wife still has possession of their SS and BC. I know that I can get copies of these, but it is cost-prohibitive. I need the BC to enroll my son in driver’s education. Should I expect the court to support me in obtaining these, or does sole legal custody have no bearing in the matter? I am the father on all 3 BCs.

Oftentimes judges will order that the parent in possession of social security cards and/or birth certificates to turn them over to the parent with sole legal custody within a certain time frame. If you already have a permanent order however, it will be difficult to get a second order requiring this to be turned over to you from the other parent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you. My ex-wife is attempting to modify physical custody later this month, so it will at least give me the opportunity to bring it up before the judge.