Educational Accounts

Maybe you can approach the person controlling the money and talk to them about making a change. Otherwise, you will have no control over how the money is used when your child becomes an adult.

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need some savvy advice from a person versed in financial matters and divorce.

Some years aog, when my cousin died, she set up several accounts to take care of some of the smaller children in the family, including my son. After my ex and I divorced, my ex has made it clear on many occasions that she would love to get her hands on that money. It is supposed to be for my son’s college education. However, I was not privy to the details of how is was supposed to be set up. It went to my uncle who kept many of the details from me for fear of my ex finding out how to get the money.

Now, my son turns 18 in February. He will still be in high school, so I thought the plans were that if he did not go to college at 18, he would get the money when he was 25. Unbeknownst to me, the terms were changed and he will no doubt get the money in February to do with it as he pleases. Here is where the problem is, My ex is a manipulative person and will no doubt try to get the money from him. He will no doubt give it to her. What can I do to help protect this money for his future. I do not even know how much is in the account, but it is apparently substantial. She has physical custody of him, but we have joint legal custody.